Saturday, November 13, 2010

Forks Over Knives...


I don't even know where to begin!  It has been such an AMAZING week!  Let's start with our AWESOME supporters... the list just keeps growing and growing.  The support is just unbelievable!  NEWTON RUNNING!!!  HELLO AWESOME SUPPORTER!!!  If you know me at all you know how much I love my Newton Running shoes.  They are freaking incredible!  I shaved over 30 seconds off of my per mile pace and I have literally no pain anywhere since switching to the Newtons.  I contacted them to find out if they would be willing to support the cause by gifting me with a discount towards a new pair of shoes for the marathon (my pair are getting a little worn out with all this training) and they totally hooked me up!  Discount?  Try a 100% off discount!  They decided to sponsor me with a Social Awareness sponsorship!  Ya heard me... I'm sponsored!!!!  I still can't believe it.  To say that I have been pleasantly surprised by the kind and giving people I have encountered during this journey is a COMPLETE understatement.
VEGA also came through with a bunch of great nutritional drinks, energy bars, smoothie mixes etc.  I love VEGA and not just because they are vegan.  Their product is second to none in terms of nutrition, giving my body the fuel it needs for running and helping my body to recover quickly so I can go out and train again.  So THANK YOU VEGA and NEWTON!!!
Also, let me give a quick shout out to the girls from the Fresno Adventure Boot Camp!  Thank you for coming together to donate and support The Vegan Firefighter and Farm Sanctuary!
You probably noticed the handsome guy in the picture above... that's me as you all know :). And that guy standing next to me is Rip Esselstyn, the author of the book ENGINE 2 DIET.  My wife and I went to an advance screening of a new documentary coming out called Forks Over Knives and Rip was the host.  For those of you who don't know, Rip Esselstyn is a fellow vegan firefighter who was able to get the guys on his crew to go vegan for their health.  From there he wrote the Engine 2 Diet and is also featured in the Forks Over Knives Documentary.  He was a tremendously nice guy who took the time to autograph my copy of his book and pose for a picture to put here on the blog.  Check out his book if you get a chance.  There are some great recipes in there!   
And for those of you who haven't heard of Forks Over Knives yet it is a wonderful documentary about healing yourself with food.  The nutrition/disease connection is startling and this film does a very good job of showing how so many of the diseases we have come to accept as part of life DO NOT have to be with proper nutrition.  This could be a life changing/life saving documentary for some of you out there suffering with diabetes, heart disease, hyper tension, obesity... the list goes on.  Just watch it!
Ok I will quite with the vegan activist health angle and wrap this up... The Vegan Firefighter has been mentioned on a few websites so I thought for those of you that are interested I would pass on the links...
www.thisdishisvegetarian.com/2010/11/1070marathoners-go-distance-for-animals.html
www.examiner.com/animal-rights-in-national/marathon-runners-sprint-for-farm-animals
www.farmsanctuary.org/mediacenter/2010/pr_marathoners.html
Thank you again everybody for everything!



1 comment:

  1. Hello, I'm also a firefighter, but in New Zealand. I've also been vegan now for nearly a year....my question to you is do you know of a company that makes fake leather fire service boots? Is a long shot as the internet seems to be a bit thin on this topic.i saw your blog title and thought I'd ask.

    Cheers

    Jason Hollows

    ReplyDelete